Monday, October 19, 2009

Hamburger Buns

We went out to eat at our favorite burger place: Newstead Tower Pub. They serve grass fed beef burgers and they are the best burgers I've ever had. We get so excited to go there. The boys were excited for two days. When I ordered them each a hamburger the sweet waitress suggested I split one for them because they're so big. "Oh, no they'll finish it off." I told her. Not only did they finish all of their hamburger, roasted veggies and squash chips(I brought the chips) they each probably ate the equivalent of another half from all of our plates. They would have eaten more.

I also enjoyed mine and was so excited because I found this recipe for buns that added to the whole experience. A burger doesn't feel like a burger when you eat it with a fork. It felt like heaven to eat it on a bun and with my homemade ketchup.
Here is the bun recipe (I also made these into hot dog bun shapes for the cookout)

Hamburger/Hot Dog Buns
1/2 a ripe avocado and 1 pastured or free-range egg and a pinch of salt
blend together until smooth and then pan fry like a pancake (these take a long time to set before flipping and work best at a medium-low heat). We use coconut oil on the skillet but you could use lard, ghee, or olive oil.
I added 3 capfulls of vanilla extract, a few drops of Stevia to make them sweet like Newstead Tower Pub buns but I don't usually do this when I make them.
I try to freeze lots of these (6 to a bag) as they are great for anytime we need bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment