Monday, September 21, 2009

Easy Breakfast

Dutch Babies (like pancakes baked in oven)
Here is the basic recipe:
2/3 c. milk
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix all together, pour into greased pie pan or 8 X 8 pan. Bake for 10 minutes or until brown on top. Sprinkle with sugar and serve with fresh fruit and yogurt.

Here are my variations:
2/3 c. coconut milk (So Delicious Brand found at Whole Foods)
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp. sea salt (I've learned that coarse sea salt is far superior than refined table salt)
2 local, range fed eggs

The night before, pour 1 Tbsp of lemon juice into measuring cup. Fill up measuring cup with coconut milk until it measure 2/3 cup (This is my version of buttermilk). Mix in flour. Cover and let soak overnight. (I'll post later on the benefits of soaking grains). In the morning add eggs and salt and bake. I greased my pan with coconut oil to avoid bad vegetable fats and dairy. (I'll post later on the good and bad fats).

I served it this morning cut into strips with a bowl of honey to dip in. They loved it! I also had the thought of cutting it in squares and spreading something yummy (peanut butter, fried bananas, etc) in between two pieces as a breakfast sandwich.

You could also add applesauce, mashed bananas or other yummy stuff into the batter before baking.

Any other ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment